This latest 2021 Guide will help you find the Best Place to Put a Dehumidifier by informing you about the factors that affect the dehumidifier’s performance. Based on these factors, a dehumidifier can work much better in one location in comparison to another location.
A dehumidifier’s performance is greatly affected by where it is placed so it needs to be put in the right place. Else, it won’t be able to properly absorb moisture from the air even if it’s a really expensive product. Moreover, the wrongful placement of a dehumidifier can also result in damages to your property such as your walls or furniture.
Factors that determine the Best Place for Dehumidifier
With regards to the humidity source, you must consider whether
- The source is an internal source such as an oven or a shower,
- Or an external source such as a door or a window.
Always place the dehumidifier Closer to the Source of Humidity. This will help it remove all the moisture before it even gets a chance to spread across the room.
You must take into account whether the room is:
A large-sized room such as an attic or a basement:
Do make sure to place the dehumidifier in the center of a large-sized room. This will help the dehumidifier cover the maximum area.
Or a small-sized room such as a personal bedroom or a bathroom:
In the case of a small-sized room, the placement of the dehumidifier doesn’t really matter that much.
Make sure, no object such as a well or any piece of furniture is present around the dehumidifier. This is because such objects can block the airflow in or out of the dehumidifier and cause it to not function properly.
One important thing to remember is that a dehumidifier consists of a water Bucket or a tank. Although, it is very rare for the water bucket to ever leak, in case it does, make sure to never put a dehumidifier near any power cables or other electronics.
The tank or bucket of a dehumidifier may need emptying from time to time so make sure it is easily accessible for this purpose. Some dehumidifiers also have an automatic draining function. For this function to work, you need to attach a hose to the dehumidifier so that it can empty its tank by itself.
Determining the Best Place to put a Dehumidifier in 2021
We have already learned of the different factors that affect the placement of the dehumidifiers. The placements differ for each room. Let us look at each room individually:
Why you need a dehumidifier in your bathroom?
If you are wondering whether bathrooms even need a dehumidifier then the answer is yes. The humidity levels in a bathroom are raised to 100% by long hot showers. This condensation creates the perfect habitat for mildew and mold to grow inside the bathroom. Therefore, you need a dehumidifier in your bathroom to combat the humidity inside of it.
Where to place a dehumidifier inside a bathroom:
When placing a dehumidifier in a bathroom, make sure:
- The dehumidifier is of a smaller size. This is because the majority of the houses have small-sized bathrooms, and a small-sized dehumidifier can work perfectly fine there without causing any disturbance.
Also, a small dehumidifier can easily be placed anywhere. You can place it near the shower or place it on top of the toilet bowl or a shelf.
Do Crawls Spaces even require a dehumidifier?
Some places that people tend to ignore that contain the highest level of humidity are crawl spaces and ceilings.
It is especially during the cold winter months, that crawl spaces assume high humidity levels. It is because, in these months, the temperature outside is colder than the temperature inside. Moreover, inadequate insulation and leaky pipes can also attribute to high humidity levels in crawl spaces
Where to Place a dehumidifier in a Crawl Space:
When it comes to crawls spaces
- Place the dehumidifier in the center.
- There must be no objects nearby that can hinder the airflow in or out of the dehumidifier.
- Take into account the size of the crawl space. If the crawl space is of a larger size, a fan can be used to help in the circulation of air around the crawl space. If the air is able to properly circulate in tight spaces, then this will help in the dehumidification process.
- Place the best dehumidifier somewhere where it is easily accessible especially if you are not availing of the option of continuous or automatic drainage. This is because you will need to access it from time to time in order to empty the tank or water bucket.
Should a Dehumidifier be placed in the kitchen?
Yes, there is no doubt at all when it comes to whether kitchens require a dehumidifier or not. The only question that needs to be focused on is where to place it.
Where to place a dehumidifier in the kitchen?
- First, Locate the source of the humidity.
- If the humidity source is the kitchen sink, then place your dehumidifier near the sink.
- On the other hand, if the humidity levels increase when you cook then someplace near the stove will prove to be the best place for a dehumidifier.
- Make sure when you place a dehumidifier, you don’t place it in a tight space or a corner. This is because we need to make sure that airflow in and out of the dehumidifier is never obstructed for optimal performance.
Do Basements need humidity control?
Yes, Basements have a lot of moisture and need to be kept at a certain humidity level just like any other room.
Where to place a dehumidifier in a Basement:
When It comes to basements:
- First, determine the type of basement.
- For basements that have plumbing for laundry and washing machines, place the dehumidifier near this drain. In this way, you can also use the drain to directly empty the bucket or water tank of the dehumidifier.
- Since basements are seldomly used or visited, you can place the dehumidifier anywhere. However, it is always wise to place it in the center in order to attain maximum coverage.
- Also, make sure the size of your dehumidifier matches the size of your basement.
Living rooms are the places most prone to moisture and in utmost need of moisture control since it is the room people spend most of their time into.
Where to place a dehumidifier in a Living Room:
A common source of humidity in the living room is the front door. So, placing the dehumidifier near the front door will prove to be the most beneficial.
Moreover, make sure to buy a large-sized dehumidifier for your living room and not a small one.
Always place a dehumidifier in your Bedroom:
If you are a person that suffers from a lot of allergies and living in a very humid place, then you most definitely need a dehumidifier placed in your bedroom as well. This will help you sleep better and keep your allergies at bay.
Where to put a dehumidifier in a Bedroom:
The sources of humidity in a bedroom are usually either leaky windows, cracks around windows, or houseplants. You must always place a dehumidifier close to the source.
However, since bedrooms are usually small-sized, you can place the dehumidifier anywhere. But you must not place it somewhere where its airflow is obstructed.
Also check this